Monday, June 4, 2007

Greetings!

No, I'm not some kind of flexibility freak or stretching snob! I am simply passionate about all the benefits that stretching and other forms of exercise can provide the body and mind, and being a dancer, I also love exploring the many sculptural shapes the human body can assume, both as art and as the penultimate expression of good health and youthful mobility. I'm also of the firm belief that a flexible body begets a flexible mind; by working on stretching and breathing and relaxing, you help to condition your mind to adapt and be resilient to all of life's unexpected twists and turns.

But I'm also passionate about all sorts of other topics, from wine tasting to cooking, the Italian language, running and skiing (though ask me if I'm much good at any of those things.... the jury is still out on that one!). So while many of my posts will undoubtedly relate to fitness and flexibility -- my areas of professional expertise, you can be sure I'll be straying off topic on more than one occasion.

Thirdly, being one who has always kept a record of some sort -- my exercise and food logs have been a daily part of my life for over ten years, just for example -- I'm using this blog in part as an extension of my record-keeping, as I'm always working towards some goal or another, setting new ones, etc. This part, I imagine, won't be the most exciting aspect of my blog, but I promise to try sprinkling those details that make for interesting reading, like the Saturday night I sheepishly took a grocery run to avenge a craving for pastry, only to have my entire line at the checkout stall due to the need for a price check, and with everyone commenting on how good the treat I was buying looked. Oh Earth, swallow me now!

Finally, I'd like to offer some behind-the-scenes peeks at the life of a fitness professional. Like everyone, we have our challenges, from life's everyday hurdles to having to stay in shape despite the abundance of crave-inducing food around every corner. And while part of our choice of occupation has to do with our joy of exercise and healthful eating, it doesn't mean we don't have our bad days. But in our case, keeping a fit body isn't just a function of pride and self care, it's part of our job! Lots of great stories and insight to pass along.

With that in mind, I hope you enjoy reading what I have to say! Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my daily split-ercise. Kidding! Actually I'm just going for a cup of coffee...

Ciao.

No comments: