Thursday, June 7, 2007

A little yoga....and then a smoking break???

What a strange thing to see. I went to the gym to do some running and strength training, and managed to stumble upon the same person -- a tall, blond young woman -- three times during the course of my visit. The first was in in the locker room; our lockers happened to be in close proximity. I noticed she was carrying a yoga mat, and with my brilliant powers of deduction (being a yoga teacher gives you all kinds of special talents), assumed she was probably on her way to one of the yoga classes there. Indeed she was, for about an hour later, I happened to glance inside the group fitness classroom as I walked past, and there she was, one of the throngs of mind-body revelers.

But the celebration of posture-meets-deep-breathing would not be long lived, for I then showered and changed, glanced at my watch and scurried to my car, but not without noticing the same tall, blond young yogette, standing on the sidewalk -- yes, that's the sidewalk right in front of the fitness center building, slouching, and casually smoking a cigarette as she chatted vacantly with a friend, her yoga mat still slung over her shoulder.

I'm going to hazard a guess that "Because I heard it gives you a good butt" is the more likely reason this one is enrolled in the class, versus "To improve my health and well-being."

Do you suppose her lungs appreciate irony?

No comments: